What are Injectable Dermal Fillers?Dermal fillers are gel-like substances that are injected beneath the skin to restore lost volume, smooth lines and soften creases, or enhance facial contours. We use a Hyaluronic acid (HA) dermal filler which is a naturally occurring substance that is already found in your skin. It helps keep skin plump and hydrated. HA fillers are typically soft and gel-like. HA is able to combine with water from the body, swell when in gel form, causing a smoothing/filling effect. The results are temporary, lasting 6 to 12 months or longer before the body gradually and naturally absorbs the particles.
Juvederm Journey - View how 3 patients achieve optimal results with the JUVÉDERM® Collection of Fillers
How Can Dermal Fillers Enhance My Appearance?
While dermal fillers are casually known as “wrinkle fillers,” they can do much more than just smooth out wrinkles, although they are excellent at this too! Here are a few of the common issues dermal fillers can help address:
- Smooth out lines around nose and mouth (a.k.a. marionette lines, smile lines, and parentheses)
- Enhance & restore volume to sunken cheeks or temples
- Diminish vertical lip lines
- Plump & enhance the lips
- Smooth out facial creases and other deep lines
- Improve symmetry among facial features
Lip Filler - Soften vertical lip lines
JUVÉDERM® Lip Collection Product Differentiation Video – Make Your Mark
- Revanesse® Versa- $450/syringe - Great for most areas. Decreased swelling/recovery time.
- Juvederm® - $550/syringe - Nasolabial folds, deeper lines/wrinkles
- Vobella - $425/syringe - Subtle lips, fine line above lips, shadow wrinkles
- Juvederm® Voluma - $625 - Cheek area
- Belotero Balance - $500 - Subtle lips, fine line above lips, shadow wrinkles, tear trough (dark circles under eyes)
What to Expect
Before the treatment, the area will be cleaned, and you may be given a topical anesthetic to numb the area prior to injection. Many filler products also contain lidocaine, a mild anesthetic, which is intended to help minimize discomfort during and after your treatment.
Depending on the product and the areas treated, you should be able to notice results immediately after receiving filler injections. Some patients experience mild bruising and swelling, but these are temporary and should subside over the days following treatment. You will be able to go back to your normal activities right after treatment.
How Long Do the Results Last?
How long the effects of dermal fillers will last depends on the product, the area of treatment, and the patient. Generally speaking, the denser the product is and the more deeply it is injected, the longer it will last, although this is not a hard and fast rule.
Hyaluronic acid fillers tend to be the most temporary option, and are often recommended for first-time filler patients. These will typically last from 6 to 18 months. Volluma may last up to 2 years. Injections to the lips will dissolve a little faster than those to the nasolabial folds due to movement.